Our guide to the top ten gas packs for residential use gives you a good place to start your search for the right one for your home or commercial building. Today’s gas packs are more efficient and built with excellent quality from leading HVAC manufacturers. We’ve chose gas packs, also known as gas/electric packages, that score well in consumer HVAC reviews and that are built with components with a proven track record.
Note that some of the models we list are dual fuel models. This means that the gas pack contains a heat pump rather than an air conditioner, along with the gas furnace. This gives you versatility to heat with the heat pump in cool weather – which is more efficient – and then switch to the gas furnace in very cold weather when a heat pump loses effectiveness.
We list the top ten gas packs by cooling efficiency, or SEER, the seasonal energy efficiency rating. To qualify as an Energy Star gas pack it must have a 14 SEER or higher rating. We list the furnace efficiency if available, in AFUE, or annualized fuel utilization efficiency. It measures the percentage of heat created that goes into the home rather than being lost in the exhaust gases. For dual fuel models, we list the heating rating of the heat pump in HSPF, or heating season performance factor.
1. American Standard Platinum Series ZM Gas Pack: 16.6 SEER, 80% AFUE. This gas pack is ideal for warm climates where the AC runs heavily. The highly efficient condensing unit will keep your costs down. American Standard has a very good service record and the Platinum Series is their #1 line. Two-stage comfort with a variable-speed fan are included.
2. Trane XL16c Gas Pack: 16.6 SEER, 80% AFUE. Trane has one of the best service records in the HVAC industry. Their equipment is reliable and tough. This XL16c gas package unit is part of Trane’s best series. The variable speed Vortica blower and dual Climatuff compressors will keep any home or building very comfortable throughout the year.
3. Ruud Ultra Series 16 SEER RRRL SERIES 2 – 5 Ton Package Gas Electric Featuring R-410A Refrigerant: 16 SEER, 80% AFUE. Ruud makes a very good product line. The RRRL Series is efficient and well-built. A durable scroll compressor, louvered sides for maximum air flow and better protection, and in-shot burners are its top performance features.
4. Carrier Infinity Series 48xl Gas Pack: 15 SEER, 81% AFUE. The Carrier Infinity line needs little introduction. It remains one of the highest-rated brands in the industry. This gas pack features 2-stage cooling, internal pressure switches to extend compressor life, and a long-life stainless steel heat exchanger. Models are available from 2-5 ton cooling and 40,000 Btu to 130,000 Btu heating.
5. Carrier Infinity Series Packaged HYBRID HEAT Dual Fuel System MODEL: 48XT: 15 SEER, 81% AFUE, 8.0 HSPF. Versatility is built into this top of the line Carrier heat pump gas pack. Choose electric or gas heating depending on the temperature or the relative price of electricity vs. gas. The heat pump has a 2-stage compressor and the furnace has a variable-speed blower – just what’s needed for maximum home comfort.
6 . Bryant Evolution Packaged HYBRID HEAT Dual Fuel System Model: 677D: 15 SEER, 81% AFUE, 8.0 HSPF. This model is a twin of the Carrier listed above. It’s Bryant’s very best and offers indoor comfort and lower energy bills with its dual fuel capabilities. The Evolution Controls and thermostat are highly rated.
7. Lennox Signature Collection 15GCSX Gas Pack: 15 SEER, 78% AFUE. This is Lennox’s best heat exchanger. It is fairly efficient and offers 2-stage cooling for more balanced indoor temperatures. The tubular heat exchanger and rugged, powder-coated cabinet are just 2 signs of Lennox quality in this unit.
8. Carrier Performance Series Packaged HYBRID HEAT Dual Fuel System Model: 48VT: 14 SEER, 81% AFUE, 8.0 HSPF. You’ll save a few dollars with this model over the Carrier Infinity Series hybrid heat gas pack, but it still delivers excellent quality and longevity. Comfort Heat technology produces higher temperatures at the grate than many heat pumps can provide. This is a single-stage model that provides heating and cooling you can trust.
9. Armstrong Air 13 Seer Gas/Electric: 13 SEER, 80% AFUE, 7.7 HSPF. Armstrong has carved out a niche in the standard-efficiency range. The design and build is very solid and the prices for their equipment are very competitive. The Armstrong Air 13 Seer gas pack is a very good choice for mild climates without temperature extremes. It’s also popular for vacation homes and buildings that don’t get heavy use.
10 . Ducane RGE13 Residential Package Gas/Electric Model RGE13A24050(L)P: 13 SEER, 80% AFUE, 7.7 HSPF. This is another value-oriented gas pack that is made from the right stuff. It offers very good long-term reliability and a purchase price that is very affordable. It’s equipped with a multi-speed blower to accompany the single-stage compressor. It eliminates blasts of untreated air at the beginning of a cycle.
Which of the top ten gas packs is right for you? It depends on your climate and whether or not you prefer a dual fuel model. Dual fuel gas packs cost a bit more but may save you money by using the heat pump when temperatures are above 45 degrees F. See our gas pack reviews and ratings by searching any of the models. You’ll get more details that might assist in your decision-making. Hire a qualified contractor to install your new gas/electric package unit and you’ll enjoy better performance and durability with it. If you’re in the market for a quality model, we invite you to start your search with these top 10 gas packs.